The Marttila neighborhood of Helsinki was built in the early 1940s as a residential area for war veterans injured during the Fenno-Soviet Winter War (1939-1940). As one of the first large scale housing areas realized by Puutalo, the district was extensively documented and featured in many early advertisements for the fledgling company. Located about 9 km northwest of the urban center, 25 plots were first leased by the City of Helsinki to the Finnish Red Cross in 1940. The following year, another 29 plots were awarded to the Disabled War Veterans Association. A site plan was drawn up by Birger Brunila, the town planning architect of Helsinki, and garden plans were realized by Elisabeth Koch, one of the foremost Finnish landscape architects of the period.